Home Topics Manslaughter

Manslaughter

The Controller of the Nasarawa State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service, Emmanuel Okoro, on Thursday refuted reports by a section of the media which claimed there was a jail break at the Keffi Old Prison.

Man jailed 10 years for stabbing friend to death

A middle-aged man, Hassan Yahaya, has been jailed 10 years for killing his friend with a knife during a fight over sweet melon seeds.
A lawyer walks through the compound at the Federal High Court in Ikoyi district in Lagos, Nigeria, May 8, 2018. REUTERS/Akintunde Akinleye

Court remands caterer for punching baker to death

A High Court in Ikeja, Lagos on Thursday ordered that a 28-year-old caterer, Imoleayo Robinson, who allegedly punched a baker to death during a fight, be remanded in a correctional centre.
The Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) has pledged to collaborate with the Nigerian Army Resource Centre (NARC) to find practical solutions to insecurity confronting the country.

Four army officers jailed 10 years for torturing corporal to death

A General Court Martial in Abuja on Friday sentenced Majors Akeem Oseni, Ogbemudia Osawe, Captain S. Amosu and Second Lieutenant Nuhu Dogary to 10 years in prison for torturing L/Corporal Benjamin Collins to death.

Eleven workers killed in Siberia fire

Eleven people including 10 Uzbek workers died when a fire ripped through a one-storey wooden shack in a remote village in the Siberian region of Tomsk, officials said on Tuesday.
The industrial park in Grays, Essex, after the 39 bodies were found. Stefan Rousseau-PA

Man from Essex arrested over deaths of 39 boddies found in lorry

A 36-year-old man from Purfleet has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with the deaths of 39 Vietnamese people in a lorry in Grays, Essex Police said.
Maurice Robinson, 25, who is known as Mo, was allegedly part of a global smuggling ring. He was arrested shortly after the bodies of eight females and 31 males were found in a trailer attached to his Scania cab in an industrial park in Grays, Essex, on 23 October.

UK driver admits two charges after bodies found in truck

A British driver accused of the manslaughter of 39 Vietnamese migrants found dead in a refrigeration truck pleaded guilty on Monday to conspiring to assist illegal immigration.
The industrial park in Grays, Essex, after the 39 bodies were found. Stefan Rousseau-PA

UK police charge man over Vietnamese migrants disaster

A 23-year-old man has been charged with human trafficking offences in connection with the deaths of 39 Vietnamese nationals whose bodies were found in a refrigeration truck in Britain.
Police officers in the United Kingdom are continuing to question four suspects over the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found inside a lorry in Essex.

All 39 victims found dead in Essex truck confirmed as Vietnamese

All 39 bodies found in a refrigerated truck outside London last month have now been identified as citizens of Vietnam, officials said on Thursday.
HANOI - Police in Vietnam have arrested eight people in relation to the discovery of 39 dead Vietnamese in a truck near London last month, state media said on Monday.

Reports: Vietnam arrests eight in connection with UK truck death

Police in Vietnam have arrested eight people in relation to the discovery of 39 dead Vietnamese in a truck near London last month, state media said on Monday.
Speaking in Belfast, Essex Police Detective Chief Inspector Daniel Stoten, urged the brothers to “hand yourselves in to the Police Service of Northern Ireland.’’

Police hunt for brothers suspected of link to 39 lorry deaths

Police in the United Kingdom have intensified search for two brothers suspected to have links to the lorry container in which 39 migrants were found dead in the English county of Essex on Oct 23 .
Chinese embassy staff are heading to Essex in Britain to verify that 39 people found dead in a truck were its nationals, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

UK sends documents to Vietnam to help identify truck victims

Britain has sent documents to Vietnam to help identify some of the 39 people found dead in a truck near London, Hanoi said Monday, as fears mount that most of the dead were Vietnamese.
Tran Thi Hien (C), mother of Bui Thi Nhung, who is feared to be among the 39 people found dead in a truck in Britain, is consoled inside her house in Vietnam’s Nghe An province on October 26, 2019. – A photo of her missing daughter Bui Thi Nhung, an offering of fruit and a bouquet of flowers — a makeshift shrine laid by a desperate mother in a remote Vietnamese town many fear was home to some of the 39 people found dead in a truck in Britain. More than 20 Vietnamese are feared to be among the bodies found in a refrigerated trailer in an industrial park in Essex east of London on October 23. (Photo by NHAC NGUYEN / AFP)

Mass prayers for Vietnamese feared dead in UK truck tragedy

A Catholic mass was held Sunday for Vietnamese feared among 39 people found dead in a truck in Britain, as families desperately awaited news of relatives who have not been heard from in days.
Chinese embassy staff are heading to Essex in Britain to verify that 39 people found dead in a truck were its nationals, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

Three held over UK truck deaths freed on police bail

Three suspects arrested in Britain over the deaths of 39 people found in a refrigerated truck have been released on bail, police said Sunday.
Police officers in the United Kingdom are continuing to question four suspects over the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found inside a lorry in Essex.

Police question four over UK lorry deaths

Police officers in the United Kingdom are continuing to question four suspects over the deaths of 39 people whose bodies were found inside a lorry in Essex.
Chinese embassy staff are heading to Essex in Britain to verify that 39 people found dead in a truck were its nationals, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.

Two held on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with Essex truck

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic after 39 people were found dead in a refrigerated lorry in Essex.
The Controller of the Nasarawa State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service, Emmanuel Okoro, on Thursday refuted reports by a section of the media which claimed there was a jail break at the Keffi Old Prison.

Man jailed 12 years for killing girlfriend with cutlass

An Igbosere High Court in Lagos on Wednesday sentenced a 46-year-old man, Tunde Omisakin, to 12 years imprisonment for causing the death of his girlfriend, Tina Toroso.
The Controller of the Nasarawa State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service, Emmanuel Okoro, on Thursday refuted reports by a section of the media which claimed there was a jail break at the Keffi Old Prison.

Woman bags 10-year imprisonment for killing fiance during a fight

A 27-year-old woman, Blessing Edet, was on Wednesday sentenced to 10 years in prison for stabbing Edet Ebong, her 33-year-old fiance, to death during a fight over her refusal to wear an engagement ring he had given to her.
Lagos State High Court.

How my father was killed by police sergeant – Son tells court

A prosecution witness, Afeez Bello, on Monday narrated how his father was killed by stray bullet, allegedly fired by a policeman, Emmanuel Uyanweke,

Recent Stories

Coronavirus: America repatriates 997 nationals from Nigeria

The U.S. Mission in Nigeria has helped 997 Americans return home to reunite with family and friends during this time of unprecedented challenge posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Lagos State Government on Tuesday said the Lagos Special Offences (Mobile) Court was to correct wrong behaviour in the society, adding that it was not for revenue generation.

Lagos mobile court tries 202 joggers, cyclists for flouting lockdown order

Fitness enthusiasts numbering 202 were on Thursday tried by two Lagos mobile courts at the Force Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Panti, Yaba, for violating lockdown order.

DSS arraign self-acclaimed CMD for ‘impersonation’

The Department of State Services (DSS) in Osun, on Thursday, arraigned one Quadri Abiodun Akande, 34, before an Osogbo Chief Magistrates’ Court for an alleged impersonation.
Maj. Gen. Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, the Commander of Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has called on journalists in the state to be objective and professional in reporting security matters.

STF commander calls for objective reportage

Maj. Gen. Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, the Commander of Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has called on journalists in the state to be objective and professional in reporting security matters.

Katsina lifts ban on Juma’at prayers, church services

The Katsina state government has lifted the ban on congregational Friday Juma’at Prayers with immediate effect in the state.