Home Topics Mangina

Mangina

(FILES) In this file photo taken on May 20, 2018 an attendant charged to handle the access to the Ebola security zone disinfects shoes outside the Wangata Reference Hospital in Mbandaka, northwestern Democratic Repubic of Congo. The Democratic Republic of Congo on August 1, 2018 reported an outbreak of Ebola in the east of the vast country, barely a week after it had declared the end to an outbreak in the northwest. "At this point, there is no indication that these two epidemics, which are more than 2,500 kilometres (1,500 miles) apart, are connected," Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga said in a statement. / AFP PHOTO / JUNIOR KANNAH

DR Congo identifies ‘second wave’ of Ebola

A second wave of the Ebola virus has been confirmed in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where an initial outbreak has already killed 125 people, a minister said Saturday.

Ebola fear empties DR Congo village schools

In the village of Mangina, where dozens have died of Ebola at the epicentre of Democratic Republic of Congo’s latest outbreak, children are to be seen everywhere — except in school, because their parents fear they will be infected in class.

Ebola survivors returning home to fear, stigma in DR Congo

Leoni Kahumbu remembers the night her 15-year-old daughter, Pascaline, first showed signs of Ebola. She found her fainted on the bathroom floor, blood everywhere.
Oly Ilunga Kalenga is a Belgian–Congolese medical doctor who has been the Democratic Republic of the Congo's Minister of Public Health since 2016

DR Congo rolls out prototype Ebola drugs as death toll rises to 67

An outbreak of Ebola in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 67 people this month, authorities said on Saturday, as they roll out a battery of new drugs to tackle the virus amid concerns it has spread to a rebel-encircled area.

WHO: Response to DRC Ebola outbreak going well

Response to the latest Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has been going well and scaling up, the World Health Organisation WHO said Friday.

Death toll in DR Congo from Ebola outbreak now at 61

Sixty-one people have died in the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the authorities said, adding that four novel drugs had been added to the roster of treatments.

Ebola death toll in DR Congo rises to 55

The Ebola outbreak in eastern DR Congo has claimed 55 lives since the start of the month, the authorities said Monday, as the government announced free treatment against the disease for the next three months.

Ebola deaths in DR Congo rises to 49 with 2,000 feared ‘contacts’

The deadly Ebola outbreak in eastern DR Congo has now claimed 49 lives since the start of the month, the government has said, and the World Health Organization expects more cases.

DR Congo begins use of experimental Ebola treatment

The Democratic Republic of Congo has started using the experimental mAb114 Ebola treatment on patients in the east of the country, the health ministry said on Tuesday, the first time it has been deployed against an active outbreak.

Four new cases of Ebola confirmed In Congo

Four new cases of Ebola virus have been confirmed in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the health ministry said, as authorities prepare to deploy an experimental treatment.

DR Congo: New Ebola deaths confirmed, dozens believed infected

Ebola is suspected to have caused as many as 33 deaths during the latest outbreak of the virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the health ministry said.

Confirmed Ebola cases rise to 13 in DR Congo’s latest outbreak

The number of confirmed cases in Democratic Republic of Congo's new outbreak of the Ebola virus has risen to 13, including three deaths, the health ministry said late on Saturday.

WHO: ‘Unsafe burial’ of woman triggered new Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

The death and unsafe burial of a 65-year-old woman in Mangina in Democratic Republic of Congo was the critical event that set alarm bells ringing in the latest Ebola outbreak in late July, the World Health Organisation said on Friday.

WHO: Congo Ebola outbreak poses high regional risk

The World Health Organization has warned that an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo is likely spread over tens of km and poses a high regional risk given its proximity to borders,.

Rwanda on high alert as DR Congo rushes team to Ebola zone

Rwanda is on a high alert following a fresh outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo.
Logo of the World Health Organization [WHO]

WHO: We’ll fight new Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said it would fight the resurgence of Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) like it fought the previous epidemics.

Ebola-like disease kills 12 in Congo

Authorities on Monday confirmed that 12 people died from an unknown disease with symptoms similar to that of Ebola in north-eastern Congo.

Recent Stories

In his speech that was published by the Defense Ministry, Gaid Salah said that, for some people, coming into Algiers from other regions has become a ``pretext to justify dangerous behavior'' and a way to swell crowds.

Algeria army chief orders clampdown on protesters

In his speech that was published by the Defense Ministry, Gaid Salah said that, for some people, coming into Algiers from other regions has become a ``pretext to justify dangerous behavior'' and a way to swell crowds.
Emir of Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Sanusi II

Emir Sanusi lauds President Buhari’s economic advisory council

The ‎Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammadu Sanusi II, ‎has commended President Muhammadu Buhari for constituting an Economic Advisory Council (EAC) comprising first-rate ‎professionals and academics.
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has said that the Nigerian Government would use the Forum of the UN General Assembly (UNGA) to seek global support fighting terrorism and increasing Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).

Xenophobia: Foreign affairs minister didn’t disobey Hose of Reps – ministry

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has denied allegation credited to the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, that the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, refused to appear before the House to respond to the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

Oseloka Obaze: Central bank cashless policy discriminatory

Former diplomat and governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the 2017 election in Anambra State, Mr. Oseloka Obaze, has faulted the new policy on cash withdrawal and deposit by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, describing it as discriminatory.

IPOB drags Generals Gowon, Obasanjo, others to court over their roles during civil war

The struggle for the actualize of the sovereign state of Biafra has taken a new dimension with a group known as Customary Government of the Indigenous People of Biafra, CG-IPOB, dragging former Head of State General Yakubu Gowon, rtd, former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Attorney-General of the Federation to Federal High Court Enugu.