Home Topics Butembo

Butembo

At least 639 people have died from Ebola since August in DR Congo in what is now the second deadliest outbreak in history [Samuel Mambo-Reuters]

Congo’s Ebola outbreak might be declared global emergency

A top Red Cross official said on Friday he's "more concerned than I have ever been" about the possible regional spread of the Ebola virus after a new spike in cases, as the World Health Organisation met on whether to declare the outbreak in Congo an international health emergency.
At least 639 people have died from Ebola since August in DR Congo in what is now the second deadliest outbreak in history [Samuel Mambo-Reuters]

Ebola toll tops 700 in DR Congo

Some 100 people have died in the Ebola epidemic in DR Congo over the past three weeks, taking the overall death toll in the latest outbreak past 700, according to health ministry data.
At least 639 people have died from Ebola since August in DR Congo in what is now the second deadliest outbreak in history [Samuel Mambo-Reuters]

Community mistrust worsening DR Congo Ebola outbreak – study

One out of four people interviewed in eastern Congo last year believed Ebola wasn't real, according to a new study, underscoring the enormous challenges health care workers are now facing.
A medical worker wears a protective suit as he prepares to administer Ebola patient care at The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) treatment center in Beni, North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo September 6, 2018. Picture taken September 6, 2018. REUTERS/Fiston Mahamba

Congo faces largest outbreak of Ebola

Democratic Republic of Congo is facing the second largest outbreak of Ebola in history as attacks on clinics pose a further challenge to the government and humanitarian organizations struggling to fight the virus.
(FILES) In this file photo taken on November 7, 2018 a health worker waits to handle a new unconfirmed Ebola patient at a newly build MSF (Doctors Without Borders) supported Ebola treatment centre (ETC) in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo. – Photographers for Agence France-Presse scooped up four nominations on February 20, 2019 in the prestigious 2019 World Press Photo of the Year Award, with the winners to be announced at a gala event in April. Kinshasa-based shooter John Wessels bagged two nominations in the General News – Singles category for including a picture taken of a Congolese health worker waiting for a suspected Ebola patient. (Photo by John WESSELS / AFP)

Ebola medical centre attacked in DRC for second time in week

The mayor of a city in the Democratic Republic of Congo and medical aid group Doctors Without Borders say intruders wreaked havoc at an Ebola treatment centre in the eastern city of Butembo, the second Ebola clinic in the region attacked in a week.
(FILES) In this file photo taken on November 7, 2018 a health worker waits to handle a new unconfirmed Ebola patient at a newly build MSF (Doctors Without Borders) supported Ebola treatment centre (ETC) in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo. – Photographers for Agence France-Presse scooped up four nominations on February 20, 2019 in the prestigious 2019 World Press Photo of the Year Award, with the winners to be announced at a gala event in April. Kinshasa-based shooter John Wessels bagged two nominations in the General News – Singles category for including a picture taken of a Congolese health worker waiting for a suspected Ebola patient. (Photo by John WESSELS / AFP)

Ebola outbreak ‘under control’ in part of eastern DR Congo

An Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 500 people in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has been brought under control in one major area, the health ministry said late Tuesday.
Democratic Republic of Congo

Shootings kill eight in eastern DR Congo

Eight people died in three shootings in Goma, eastern DR Congo, the town mayor said on Sunday, while others complained authorities were slow to react to violence in North Kivu province.
United States Africa Command

US deploys troops to Gabon amid fears of unrest in DR Congo

The US military has deployed soldiers to Gabon amid fears of violent protests in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo after its presidential election.
DR Congo presidential election

Internet shut down in DR Congo after presidential election

The internet has been shut down in key cities in the Democratic Republic of Congo a day after the much-delayed presidential election.
A medical worker wears a protective suit as he prepares to administer Ebola patient care at The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) treatment center in Beni, North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo September 6, 2018. Picture taken September 6, 2018. REUTERS/Fiston Mahamba

Ebola, violence-weary DR Congo region proudly stages unofficial vote

Thousands of voters, weary from frequent armed attacks and an ongoing Ebola outbreak, proudly cast ballots in a northeastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo -- even though they will count for nothing.
Joseph Kabila

DR Congo’s Joseph Kabila says nothing can prevent election

Democratic Republic of Congo's leader says "there is no further reason" to prevent Sunday's presidential election after two years of delays, but he blames an Ebola outbreak for the last-minute decision to keep an estimated 1 million voters from the polls.

UN chief sues for peace in DR Congo ahead of polls

The United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called on political actors in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to work together for a free and fair elections on Sunday.
Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a news conference after an Emergency Committee meeting on the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, August 14, 2018. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

WHO: Ebola claims 357 in DR Congo

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said there were a total of 591 Ebola cases, 543 of which are confirmed, and 357 deaths, 309 of which are confirmed, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

Strike call, protests in DR Congo after new election delay

A DR Congo opposition bloc called Thursday for a nationwide stoppage and police clashed with demonstrators in two eastern cities after upcoming elections were placed on hold in their region.
Congo voting machine

DR Congo further delays December 30 election in two conflict zones

DR Congo on Wednesday announced that key elections due to take place nationwide on December 30 would be postponed to March in two regions troubled by violence.

Ebola spreads to major DR Congo city as vaccines a concern

The second-largest Ebola outbreak in history has spread to a major city in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, as health experts worry whether the stock of an experimental vaccine will stand up to the demands of an epidemic with no end in sight.
World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a press conference after a meeting to decide whether DR Congo's Ebola epidemic is a 'public health emergency of international concern' on October 17, 2018 in Geneva. (Photo by Fabrice COFFRINI / AFP)

DR Congo rebels kill 13, abduct a dozen children in Ebola epicentre

Congolese rebels have killed 13 civilians and abducted a dozen children in an attack at the centre of the latest deadly Ebola outbreak, the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s military said.
A medical worker wears a protective suit as he prepares to administer Ebola patient care at The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) treatment center in Beni, North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo September 6, 2018. Picture taken September 6, 2018. REUTERS/Fiston Mahamba

Residents attack health workers in Congo

Residents do not believe the Ebola virus, which has killed 100 people since the start of the outbreak two months ago, is real.

Recent Stories

Federal government to launch special security outfit to defend farmers

The Federal government is set to launch a new civil defence outfit called ‘Agro-Rangers’ which will guard farmers and allied investments and facilities across the country.

Court gives labourer six-month jail, 20 strokes of cane for stealing phone

A Sharia Court in Minna on Thursday sentenced a labourer, Hamisu Umar, to 20 strokes of cane for stealing a mobile phone.
Special counsel Robert Mueller’s long-awaited report on Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election was released today by attorney general William Barr.

Robert Mueller says he was ‘unable’ to clear Donald Trump of obstruction

Special Counsel Robert Mueller said in his investigation report released Thursday he was unable to declare President Donald Trump not guilty of obstruction of justice based on the evidence.

Edo IRS commences aggressive tax enforcement exercise

The Edo State Internal Revenue Service has commenced aggressive tax enforcement exercise to collect revenue owed the state government.

Senate presidency: North-Central group backs Senator Goje

A North Central group under the auspices of North Central Alliance for Danjuma Goje has thrown its weight behind the Senator for the position Senate President in the 9th Assembly.