Home Topics Brenton Tarrant

Brenton Tarrant

New Zealand will establish a team of investigators dedicated solely to tackling online extremism, as it moves to address failures exposed by the Christchurch mosques massacre, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Monday.

New Zealand creates unit to target, ‘disrupt’ online extremism

New Zealand will establish a team of investigators dedicated solely to tackling online extremism, as it moves to address failures exposed by the Christchurch mosques massacre, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Monday.Christchurch
Gun control advocates believe New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern must act swiftly on her promises of tighter gun laws. Hagen Hopkins-Getty Images

New Zealand tightens gun laws again after mosque massacre

New Zealand unveiled new legislation Friday aimed at ensuring only “fit and proper” people can own guns in the wake of the Christchurch mosque attacks that killed 51 Muslim worshipers.
Facebook, Messenger and Instagram apps are are displayed on an iPhone. Jenny Kane-AP

Australia to block internet domains that host extremist content during terror attacks

Australia will block access to internet domains hosting terrorist material during crisis events and will consider legislation to force digital platforms to improve the safety of their services, officials said on Sunday.
Dozens of New Zealanders have handed over their firearms in a gun buyback scheme aimed at ridding the country of semi-automatic weapons in the wake of the Christchurch mosque massacre.

New Zealanders hand over weapons after mosque killings

Dozens of New Zealanders have handed over their firearms in a gun buyback scheme aimed at ridding the country of semi-automatic weapons in the wake of the Christchurch mosque massacre.
Brenton Tarrant, 29, a suspected white supremacist, appeared by video link from a maximum security facility in Auckland while his lawyer entered not guilty pleas on his behalf. The accusations against him include one terrorism charge.

New Zealand: Accused Christchurch gunman pleads not guilty

An Australian man pleaded not guilty on Friday to 92 charges stemming from a massacre in two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch three months ago and will stand trial in May next year.
A police officer secures the area in front of the Masjid al Noor mosque after a shooting incident in Christchurch on March 15, 2019. – Attacks on two Christchurch mosques left at least 49 dead on March 15, with one gunman — identified as an Australian extremist — apparently livestreaming the assault that triggered the lockdown of the New Zealand city. (Photo by Tessa BURROWS / AFP)

Police in Christchurch find suspected bomb, man arrested

New Zealand police found a suspected bomb and ammunition Tuesday in a vacant lot in Christchurch, the scene of last month’s mosque shootings which killed 50 Muslim worshippers.
Police officers and vehicles are seen behind police cordon in Christchurch [TVNZ via Reuters]

Police arrest man after bomb threat in Christchurch

New Zealand police have arrested a 33-year-old man after they found ammunition and a package containing a suspected explosive device at a vacant property in Christchurch.
Gboyega Oyetola

Governor Oyetola: Nigeria must chain extremism, promote diversity

Osun state Governor Adegboyega Oyetola has enjoined Nigerians to eschew ‎things that can hamper the peaceful coexistence in the country.
Prince William and Imam Gamal Fouda speak at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand on April 26, 2019.

In Pictures: Prince William visits Christchurch massacre mosques

Britain’s Prince William has visited a mosque in New Zealand where 42 people were killed in March, saying “the forces of love will always prevail over the forces of hate.
Brenton Tarrant

New Zealand mosque attacker Tarrant to face 50 murder charges

The self-confessed white supremacist accused of killing 50 people at two Christchurch mosques last month has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder ahead of a court appearance on Friday.=
Scott Morrison

Australia threatens to jail social media executives over terror images

Australia warned social media giants Tuesday that executives could be jailed if they fail to quickly remove extremist material from their platforms.
Mourners help to carry a casket containing the body of Haji Mohammed Daoud Nabi, 71, a victim of the Al Noor Mosque massacre, during his funeral in Christchurch on March 21, 2019. – New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on March 21 announced an immediate ban on the sale of assault rifles and semi-automatics in a muscular response to the Christchurch terror attack that killed 50 people. (Photo by Anthony WALLACE / AFP)

Thousands stage silent New Zealand march for shooting victims

More than 10,000 people marched silently on Thursday through the New Zealand city where the alleged shooter in last week’s massacre had lived, as the country paid its respects to the 50 victims of the tragedy.
military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles

New Zealand bans automatic guns, assault rifles

Almost a week after lone wolf terrorist Australian Brenton Tarrant killed 50 people in two Christchurch mosques, New Zealand is set to ban military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles under tough new gun laws.
Floral tributes to those who were gunned down at the two mosques are seen against a wall bordering the Botanical Garden in Christchurch on March 19, 2019. – New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed never to utter the name of the twin-mosque gunman as she opened a sombre session of parliament with an evocative “as salaam alaikum” message of peace to Muslims. (Photo by Marty MELVILLE / AFP)

Second man charged with sharing livestream of Christchurch massacre

A 44-year-old man has become the second person charged with sharing a gruesome livestream video of the deadly attack at a Christchurch mosque, as New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called for a global response to the dangers of social media.

NSCIA condemns Christchurch terror attack

The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) has condemned the Friday terrorist attack on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, by Australian citizen, Brenton Tarrant.

New Zealand shooting: Firms consider pulling ads from social media

Some New Zealand companies are weighing whether to advertise on social media as two industry groups urged them not to in the wake of recent mass shooting in Christchurch that was live-streamed on Facebook and redistributed on other platforms.
Gun control advocates believe New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern must act swiftly on her promises of tighter gun laws. Hagen Hopkins-Getty Images

New Zealand pledges gun control as ‘gunman’ sacks lawyer

New Zealand will tighten gun laws in the wake of its worst modern-day massacre, the government said Monday, as it emerged that the white supremacist accused of carrying out the killings at two mosques will represent himself in court.
Brenton Tarrant

Mosque killer faces ‘unprecedented’ sentence

Suspected mosque gunman Brenton Tarrant faces an “unprecedented” sentence that bars him from ever applying for release, but could yet dodge terror charges, legal experts told AFP Monday.

Recent Stories

Dani Olmo has been linked with some of Europe’s biggest clubs over the past few months but it is RB Leipzig who have won the race to sign him.

RB Leipzig see off European giants to seal €45 million deal

Dani Olmo has been linked with some of Europe’s biggest clubs over the past few months but it is RB Leipzig who have won the race to sign him.
Arsenal are closing in on a deal for Spanish defender Pablo Mari.

Arsenal close in on loan deal for Spanish defender Pablo Mari

The Gunners have been searching for a new centre-back throughout the transfer window and are now close to landing Mari on loan following successful talks with Brazilian side Flamengo over the past 24 hours.

Emmanuel Macron begs Donald Trump for another chance

France is appealing to President Donald Trump not to cut off U.S. military support to French forces fighting Islamist militants in Africa, warning that it could undermine efforts to counter a growing terrorist threat in the Sahel region.

Amotekun: Doyin Okupe hails VP Osinbajo’s intervention

Doyin Okupe, a former aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, has written an open letter to the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, over the controversial issues arising from the creation of Operation Amotekun.
INEC Election Nigeria

Sokoto rerun: Election commences peacefully, turnout impressive

The Saturday legislative re-run election has commenced peacefully in Sokoto with a high turnout of voters in Sokoto South and Sokoto North Local Government Areas of the state.