Football

Rio Ferdinand: Steven Gerrard eyeing Liverpool, not Newcastle

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard will rather go after Liverpool job than settle for Newcastle. Pundit and former Manchester ace Rio Ferdinand made the submission shortly after Newcastle parted ways with Steve Bruce on Wednesday.

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard will rather go after Liverpool job than settle for Newcastle. Pundit and former Manchester ace Rio Ferdinand made the submission shortly after Newcastle parted ways with Steve Bruce on Wednesday.

He claims the Rangers boss will only leave Ibrox if and when Jurgen Klopp departs the Liverpool job.

And Ferdinand firmly expects Newcastle to be wasting their time trying to poach Gerrard.

Speaking on his FIVE YouTube channel, Ferdinand said: “Even Steven Gerrard, I see his name mentioned alongside the job as well. I can’t see someone like him going there because I just feel that his eyes are on Liverpool.

“How much longer can Klopp stay at Liverpool? I mean, Klopp could be there for five more years, but easily you could see him one day, because of the character he seems to be, turn around in 18 months and say, ‘Listen, this is me’.

“So I just see that Steven Gerrard will be looking at Liverpool as his next step rather than somewhere like Newcastle.”

Gerrard was giving little away when questioned about the Newcastle job just last week.

“Sitting in this position, I certainly wouldn’t like anybody to be speculating about my job,” he said about Bruce. “So I certainly am not planning to get involved in any of the speculations towards his.”

However, Gerrard did admit that the takeover at St James’ Park has rightfully sparked plenty of attention.

“I think it’s interesting what is happening at Newcastle. I think if anyone deserves a break it’s the Geordie fans, so I’m sure excitement levels are very high on the Toon,” he added.

“I’m sure everyone involved with the game is looking on with interest to see how it develops. But from a personal point of view, I don’t really get involved in speculation and I wish Steve all the best.”

Bruce finally learnt his fate on Wednesday morning as new owners PIF approved his exit. Indeed, his departure comes just 13 days after the club’s takeover by a Saudi-led consortium. However, in a statement, they stated the 60-year-old leaves his position by mutual consent.

Get more stories like this on Twitter and Telegram

Recommended Stories