Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that he was approached by Tuesday’s Champions League opponents Napoli while he was in charge of Borussia Dortmund.
Reports had claimed that the Klopp had been approached by the Serie A side during a previous European encounter in 2013, though Napoli eventually ended up hiring Rafa Benitez.
Ahead of the Reds’ must-win encounter with Carlo Ancelotti’s charges, Klopp was quizzed on the approach and whether he would be open to taking up a role in the Italian top flight some day.
“I still have a contract here,” the German told the press. “Three and a half years. I don’t know if anybody wants me after that.
“I like Italy, I like Italian food, everything is fine, but unfortunately I don’t speak the language that well.
“I am happy and at the moment the people [at Liverpool] are happy with me so we don’t have to think about changing anything.”
Napoli’s owner, Aurelio De Laurentiis, is widely known for his brutal honesty with the press, often making headlines for being forthright with his thoughts, regardless of how controversial they may be.
And while De Laurentiis may rub some people up the wrong way, Klopp admits he’s a fan of the film producer.
“What I like about Mr De Laurentiis is that he doesn’t hide with information!” he said.
“He is quite chatty. I don’t think I’ve ever told anyone about that talk [regarding the Napoli job], but he mentions it all the time.”
“I think he is happy with all the choices he has made. Bringing Maurizio Sarri in was incredible and now Carlo [Ancelotti] is outstanding. They are happy with the coaches they have and have had.”
Liverpool must defeat Napoli 1-0 or by two clear goals on Tuesday if they are to have any hope of progressing past the Champions League group stage.
The clash will kick off at Anfield at 8pm GMT/3pm ET.