Following his loss to Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder will have surgery on a fractured hand after being handed a six-month medical suspension.
As reported, on Sunday morning in Las Vegas, Wilder was knocked out by Fury in the 11th round of their epic trilogy bout.
Wilder had been given a six-month medical suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission due to his injuries. He will not be able to fight again until April unless he receives clearance from a doctor.
Shelly Finkel, Wilder’s co-manager, disclosed that the Bronze Bomber will undergo surgery next week after breaking a bone in his hand.
“Deontay broke his right hand behind the third knuckle and he has to have that fixed next week,” Finkel said. “He has to have surgery, the knuckle is OK, it’s the bone behind the knuckle that broke. He’s sore but he was OK, he was home yesterday.
“He’s healing and at this point, if everything is OK, after the hand surgery he’ll probably look to enter the ring mid next year, like April or May.”
Meanwhile, Wilder’s head trainer, Malik Scott, believes the boxer has no plans to retire after his second loss to Fury.
“Deontay has set his family financially secure so he doesn’t have to fight to make a living,’ Scott said. “But retiring is not in his plans at all and not something we’ve discussed.”