Anthony Joshua vowed to “get the belts back” after calling his sensational heavyweight world-title defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr a “minor setback”.

A rematch between Anthony Joshua and his conqueror Andy Ruiz Jr will take place in November or December, says Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn.

American-born Mexican Ruiz produced one of the biggest shocks in heavyweight boxing history to take Joshua’s IBF, WBO and WBA world heavyweight titles in New York on Saturday.

A rematch clause was part of the contract for the fight.

Hearn said the clause had been triggered on Tuesday after talks.

“After meetings with AJ, Rob McCracken – Joshua’s trainer – and the management team in NY, we have today triggered the contracted rematch clause with Andy Ruiz Jnr,” Hearn said on Twitter.

“The fight will take place in Nov/Dec at a venue to be confirmed shortly.”

Joshua, 29, was floored four times as Ruiz defied his underdog status to win in seven rounds at Madison Square Garden. The British former Olympic champion subsequently had a concussion test after the first defeat of his 23-fight career.

Ruiz, also 29, took the fight at short notice after Joshua’s original opponent Jarrell Miller failed drug tests.

The new champion has previously said he will take a rematch at any time.

Get more stories like this on Twitter

AD: To get thousands of free final year project topics and other project materials sorted by subject to help with your research [click here]


More Stories