North Korea has said talks with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo are “regrettable”.
The country’s foreign minister has also accused the US of unilateral demands for denuclearisation.
The statement says that America betrayed the spirit of last month’s summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
It says the outcome of the talks was “very concerning” because it has led to a “dangerous phase that might rattle our willingness for denuclearisation that had been firm.”
Mr Pompeo arrived in Pyongyang on Friday for a two-day visit – his third trip to the isolated state since taking the secretary of state job in April.
Earlier reports today pointed to progress being made between the two countries, with commitments for new discussions on denuclearisation and the repatriation of the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War.
Before departing Pyongyang, Mr Pompeo told reporters that his conversations with senior North Korean official Kim Yong Chol had been “productive,” conducted “in good faith” and that “a great deal of progress” had been made in some areas.
He admitted “there’s still more work to be done” in other areas.
Heather Nauert, the State Department spokesperson, tweeted a number of photos during the talks, including of a beaming Mr Pompeo pictured after the final meeting.
— Heather Nauert (@statedeptspox) July 7, 2018
The US politician did not meet with North Korea’s leader during this visit.
A Pentagon team would be meeting with North Korean officials around 12 July at the border between North and South Korea to discuss the repatriation of remains, Mr Pompeo told reporters.
He added that talks would be held soon on the destruction of North Korea’s missile engine testing facility.