A terror suspect accused of carrying out a machete attack on troops outside the Louvre in Paris has refused to speak to investigators.
The 29-year-old Egyptian, named as Abdullah Reda al Hamamy, was questioned after being formally detained in hospital, where he had been treated for gunshot wounds.
He was injured by a soldier who opened fire as he allegedly lunged at the military personnel with a machete in each hand, shouting “Allahu Akbar”.
French President Francois Hollande has described it as a terrorist attack.
A source at the Paris prosecutor’s office said on Sunday: “The first interview took place this morning, but it turned out to be a short one. For the moment, he refuses to talk to investigators.”
One soldier was injured in the attack near the entrance to the landmark museum, which went into lockdown and closed for the rest of the day, before reopening on Saturday.
The father of a man who tried to storm the Louvre in Paris thinks the soldiers who shot him over-reacted.
The suspect was carrying a backpack that contained paint spray cans but no explosives, police said.
The suspect’s father, Reda al Refaai, has said his son had been in France for work.
He said: “This incident doesn’t make any sense… They said he hurt a soldier and then another soldier fired at him… Why haven’t we seen this soldier’s injury?
“This is a cover up so they don’t have to apologise or justify the acts of this soldier who used brutal force with a poor, 29-year-old young man.”