The Oyo State Government on Friday re-launched its security outfit, “Operation Burst,” saying it was determined to tackle criminal activities across the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the security outfit was launched at Idi-Arere area of Ibadan believed to be a blackspot.
NAN also reports that the outfit, created in 2012, has officers drawn from the army, police and NSCDC.
Speaking at the occasion, Gov. Abiola Ajimobi said government would not tolerate all forms of criminal activities across the state.
Ajimobi said that his administration had since inception in 2011 made security the fulcrum of governance.
“There was a time when this state was known as a ‘garrison’ but it gladdens my heart that our administration has transformed the security of the state to its present state.”
“Today, our state is one of the first three most peaceful states in Nigeria. This is a result of our commitment to the protection of lives and properties.
“We are back again and won’t condone criminal activities in this state. This state will not contain both government and any criminal group, particularly those who called themselves ‘One million boys’,” he said.
The governor, who said that security was a collective responsibility, urged the people to be security conscious at all time.
“We are going to fortify the security outfit more. We will buy them more ammunition and surveillance helicopter. We will also erect CCTV across the state to ease their job,” he said.
The governor had earlier inaugurated a new Board of Trustees for the state-owned Security Trust Fund.
The new board is headed by Mr Adebayo Adelabu, Deputy Governor (Operations), Central bank of Nigeria (CBN), while Mr Femi Oyedipe is the Executive Secretary.