The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, has condemned the attack by ‘non-state’ armed groups against a humanitarian accommodation in Ngala, Borno State.

The attack on the humanitarian hub was said to have been carried out by heavily armed men on Saturday in the north-eastern state of the country.

An entire section of the facility was reportedly razed, as well as one of the few vehicles being used by UN agencies for movement and aid delivery.

“I am outraged by the extremely violent attack on this key humanitarian facility where five United Nations staff were staying at the time of the incident.

“I am shocked by the violence and intensity of this attack, which is the latest of too many incidents directly targeting humanitarian actors and the assistance we provide,” stressed the Humanitarian Coordinator.


Mr Kallon, however, stated that no lives were lost during the attack.

He noted that protective security measures deployed at the humanitarian hub prevented any harm to the workers that were in the facility.

The UN envoy said, “I am relieved all staff is now safe and secure. Aid workers, humanitarian facilities and assets cannot be a target and must be protected and respected at all times.

“Such incidents have a disastrous effect on the lives of the most vulnerable people who depend on our assistance to survive.”

“Many of them had already fled violence in their area of origin and were hoping to find safety and assistance in Ngala.

“This also jeopardises the ability of aid workers to stay and deliver assistance to the people most in need in remote areas in Borno State,” he added.

Get more stories like this on Twitter

AD: To get thousands of free final year project topics and other project materials sorted by subject to help with your research [click here]


More Stories